Thursday, November 29, 2012

Wordasaurus Rex!

NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), the challenge is simple: write 50,000 words in the month of November. This was my second year participating in NaNo and my second year winning it.

That's right... I'm a winner!


Rather than start a new work I continued my work in progress, and used the inimitable @FeakySnucker's term and tag #NaNoFiMo (National Novel Finishing Month) to signify that I was doing things a wee bit off the reservation.

I checked with the Office of Letters and Light (the wonderful folks who run NaNo) and they said as long as I was writing 50,000 new words on the story it still counted. After a short discourse in which I asked if I had to create 50,000 brand new words that weren't in any dictionary, (they replied that I didn't. I could actually re-use existing words, I just had to put them in arrangements that weren't pre-existing within my story), I set about writing the rest of my novel.

The word count that I finished NaNo with is 50,417 NaNo words, and 100,439 words on this draft. The draft isn't entirely complete yet, there's still a chapter and some extra text to go, and there's a LOT of revision to do on this one, so that draft number will definitely change as I edit and polish.

I'm beaming right now. It's past midnight, I have to get up at 7am and go to work, and I'm literally buzzing with energy.

I'd love to dig into finishing that last chapter and the extra text, then dive into cleaning up some of the stuff I've left myself notes all over Scrivener to do, but my Scrivener trial expired at midnight!!! I can't buy a full version until my "Winner" status officially comes through on December 5th. It's almost enough to make a man gnash his teeth at the unfairness of it all.

I leave you with the term Wordasaurus Rex. I'm not 100% sure where or why it came about, but it's most definitely NOT something I've created. But it's how I feel when I finish NaNo. Like a great big excuse eating dinosaur made out of words! RAWR!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment