Wednesday, October 3, 2012

External Validation!

This is something really important, and whether it's ego, or lack of ego (no one will accuse me of that), external validation is something I (and I'm sure other writers) crave.

It's a small part of the driving force that makes me (us?) write, and continue to write.  Recently, well, earlier this week, I sent my pitch to Kat Ellis for her to critique in advance of #HLandS (Hook Line and Sinker).  What I received as a response has pretty much made my week.  Here's an actual writer validating my pitch!  Despite the fact that I may, or may not, have alluded to her being either a crazy cat lady, or one of the crazy cat lady's cats in a previous blog post.

Again, as I said on Twitter, Thank you Kat!

The rest of the motivation for writing, at least in my case, is to have my stories read.  As much as I enjoy writing them, I don't think they really live until someone puts fresh eyes on them and breathes life into them in their imagination.  Well, that and money, I'd love to get paid to write.

As for my writing tonight, even though I feel like I've been hit by a mid-sized truck (got a nice head/chest cold going on) I pushed out just over 1200 words in about an hour and a half this evening.  That puts me on good pace for NaNoWriMo next month if I can keep it up.  Now that I have my Outline "complete" that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

If you're unfamiliar with NaNoWriMo  it stands for National Novel Writing Month, and it's the month of November every year.  The goal of NaNo is to write 50,000 words of Fiction in the 30 days that constitute November.  I participated in my first NaNo last year and won with just over 24 hours left.

Out of that NaNo came the basic skeleton of BookB, which has been slowly getting a full rewrite in the year since.  In fact, all that I can really say remains is a few key plot points, some of the characters, and the comforting sense that I can actually do this.  Which is really the best part of it all.

Anyway, taking my sick butt to bed.

G'night!

- Grimm

No comments:

Post a Comment