Thursday, October 18, 2012

Draft Progress and... Destilting?

I'm going to keep this blog entry short, as I'm completely bagged and need to get to bed.

I mentioned in my last blog entry that I was moving to a single Main Viewpoint Character, and that I was going to have to drop a few sub-plots.

There was one particular subplot that I really wanted to keep, as it punches up the story and really adds a level of individual conflict for a particular important character.  I think I've found a way to bring that back in and hopefully make it fantastic.  We'll see.

I know one area I'm going to have to do extensive work on after this draft is polishing my dialog.  The chapter I'm working on currently is pretty dialog heavy and I'm trying to keep it tight, but I know some of it is going to look like a train wreck in a day or two.  I don't think it's horrible, but it could certainly use sprucing up and "destilting" (despite spellcheck that is a real word, Google it).  I intend to finish this pass on the draft and use the age-old method of reading it aloud to see where it goes off the rails.

I'm nearly back up to 40K words after reworking my outline and slashing and burning a few chapters worth of material.  I still have a LOT of editing to do to the chapters that are there to clean up the story and get it all on the new track.  It'll be worth every silent little scream.

I'm setting a deadline for this draft to be done in late December or (paying job workload dependant) early January.  Then I'll do some cleanup and get it out to my Alpha Readers as a more complete book.

That's all for tonight.

- Grimm

No comments:

Post a Comment