Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Progress (of sorts).

Since posting the first post, and directing a few eyeballs to my little text-spew here I've added about 2000 words and done a few hours research on some background information. So far so good.

I've had the luck of work being a bit slow while people are on vacation, so beyond a bit of Patent work and research today I've got a reasonably clean slate for my working hours. On top of that, I'm working at home, so that's an added bonus. I have to stay chained to my desk anyway in case anything happens.

Of course, I still have to figure out the narrative voice and tone of BookA, at the same time, perhaps I'll throw a bit down on a second set of notes for BookB since it's rattling the bars in my cavernous dungeon of a skull and trying to be heard.

A little tech aside: How did writers ever get by without computers? Even in the typewriter days it must have been mind-bogglingly frustrating spell-checking, editing, and compiling notes. I've rewritten paragraphs 5 or 6 times and still not been happy with them. Though perhaps that's actually a benefit, you can't niggle and pick at little bits and pieces as you go, granting more opportunity to get the overall narrative out.

Perhaps I need some instruction on good writing habits, who knows.

Oh, one more thing, I simply LOVE DropBox (yes, that's a referral link, not the point). I used to keep my notes on a USB key to allow me to work on multiple machines, which is incredibly stressful if you think you've lost it, now I have what's essentially a folder based SVN repository that keeps in sync between all my various internet enabled devices. It's far more efficient and stress free.

No comments:

Post a Comment