Saturday, November 24, 2012

Not so easy now is it?

Remember when I said "the words were easy"? Yes, well. In the days since, not so much. I wrote that post having just passed 80K words. Tonight I wrestled my way past 90,000 words, just barely keeping on track to finish NaNoWriMo and this last 10K has been quite the struggle.

I'm neck deep in the climax of my book and all I can say is that it's going to need a LOT of revision to make it flow. I've got a fight scene that feels like a badly choreographed, by the numbers, blow by blow account; I've got some not-so-engaging and oh-so-stilted dialog, and I've had to struggle to get every sentence on the page.

The annoying part is I can picture it all in my head and it's just so much fun when it tumbles around in there. I just have to get it out to share it with everyone/anyone in a manner that's as exciting and engaging for them as it is for me. The last thing I want on the page is a dry and boring step-by-step technical manual on how to get your ass kicked.

I have 4.5 chapters left of my outline to finish writing, which at approximately 2.5K words per chapter should put me just over 50K for NaNo, and 100K on the draft as a whole. I intend to take the first week of December off in it's entirety and not look at it. I can't promise I won't, as I tend to obsess over these things, but I'll sure as hell try.

Then it's time to dive heavily into revision and clean-up and there's plenty of that to go around.

The good news for the Alpha Readers is that you'll be getting revised chapters dropped into the DropBox bin on a fairly regular basis. They'll be in order, and they'll add up to the whole book when all is said and done.

I've got another week of writing (and possibly a bit more) to go, then my two week break before that gets started, so let's just let me stay concentrated on finishing NaNo first shall we?

- Grimm

P.S. If you don't have DropBox, it's fantastic and it's free, and I get more space if you use my referral link to sign up, and I'm always hungry for more space :D

No comments:

Post a Comment