Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Slow Start in a Hotel

My family and I are away from home at the moment at a hockey tournament (it didn't end well but Monster played fantastically) and I'm finding it hard to write in a hotel. I'm participating in NaNoWriMo this year (dubbed NaNoFiMo or National Novel Finishing Month by Laura Hughes on Twitter), as I've said a few times recently and it's making for a slow start.

I don't know what it is about sleeping in a hotel that just doesn't work for me. Whether it's being in an unfamiliar environment with no white noise (I sleep with the en-suite fan on at home), or whether it's my 3 year old (AKA Bear) constantly tossing and turning next to me but I just don't get a good night's sleep.

It could be the food. I've gotten quite used to eating home-cooked whole foods, and you really don't get that when you're away from home and at the mercy of restaurants or other parents (pot-lucks are great for socializing, and the food is often delicious, but ugh).
~
My writing has sucked while here, in 3 nights I've knocked out only ~2,600 words. I'm exhausted tonight and definitely looking forward to going home tomorrow and sleeping in my own bed, with my cat and my dogs and the only other person in the bed with me being my wife.

Alright, I'm done whining. Tomorrow I'll try and get back on track, or at least get a little more done.

- Grimm

No comments:

Post a Comment