Thursday, February 16, 2012

I'm 33%


Today I turn 33...  That's 33% of the way to 100, the age I figure I'll begin my mid-life crisis.  It's a goal I have, I'll get to more of those in a bit.

At 33, I don't feel a day over 32.  I'm in better physical and mental health than I was at 23.  I eat well, healthy and without cutting out foods I love, exercise regularly, and sometimes even get a full night's sleep.  I have a family that loves me, and that I love dearly,  Manda, Dana, and Natalie are my world, the very centre of my universe.

I'm quite certain I'm not the easiest person to live with, or even get along with all the time, but everyone has to have something to work towards.

I have goals too, which is where this ties into this blog. I want to finish writing, and re-writing, and re-writing again, BookB, the Fantasy/Mystery/Heist book that I've been working on semi-regularly for the past year.  I've made a fair bit of progress on that one, some 230+ pages (thanks in large part to NaNoWriMo), that will have to be drastically rewritten and backfilled before it's presentable.

I've also had some pretty strong thoughts about the structure and direction of BookA, the Sci-Fi book, but I'm doing my best to stay focused on one at a time, so those thoughts have manifested only as additional notes so far.

I'm rewriting and restructuring a bit of that outline right now, mostly to make it flow better, and to add some seriously-needed depth to the characters.  I'd much rather have a story with compelling characters driving, than to just have shallow characters as pawns for the plot, so, a rework is in order, to give the characters more time to develop.  I also need to add a few more tent-pole, or candy-bar moments and sort out the pacing.  As I said, a lot of work needs to be done before it's presentable.

I've put together a list of personal goals for this 33rd year of my life, as a method of further self-motivation, and I'm going to share it with you, my dedicated 8 readers, and anyone else who falls into this blog by accident.  On with the list!

1. Be a better father and man (I know, not too much room for improvement, but there's always some) ;)
2. Write!  More specifically, finish a full draft and at least one revision pass of BookB.
3. Break the 18% barrier (it's a fitness thing).
4. Be humble (there always has to be one unrealistic goal that you don't meet, to prove you're not perfect).
5. Read a lot of books (this is that obligatory impossible-to-fail entry on the list).
6. Share what I've written with others for review and feedback.
7. Update my blog more!
8. Watch more movies (because I can).
9. Find 1 more goal to achieve!

No comments:

Post a Comment